Thursday, April 8, 2010

UIndy vs. Anderson

Victory Field.  Beautiful yard.  Reminds me of my days in the pro game.  Beautifully manicured field..lots of empty seats.  But it was great.

Last night it was UIndy against Anderson University.  Rain threatened all night and we eventually had to suspend the game in the bottom of the 9th with the score tied 9-9.  Fitting.

Worked this game with Andy Warren from Indianapolis.  He did a really nice job behind the dish.  But unlike the game at Franklin on Tuesday where Matt Waggoner didn't have a single damn call...I HAD 50!!!

OK...Maybe it was more like 6-7..but they were all whackers...And they all went for outs.  (Must have gotten them all right...I got to watch them a second time on the video boards and I wouldn't have changed any of them.)

Pretty uneventful game..lots of offense..a new pitcher every inning.  Andy would have had about a 2:20 game if it hadn't been for the lightning and rain.

Now for the fun part of the night.

Andy told me to speak of it kindly.  I think I will speak of it with enthusiasm.

It has happened to all of us.  If you say it hasn't happened to you as an umpire--YOU ARE A LIAR!!
The dreaded STE-BALL.

I have had my share in my career...you see the pitch...it comes in..you track it well...it is going to be in the zone...SHIT...no it isn't.

Pitch came in...looked good from the start...then all of a sudden a 70 mph gust of wind blew it off the plate.  But too late...Andy was already up...out of the squat...standing up...AND turning to his right to call it a strike...but it wasn't...and as he stood up...turned right and began to raise his right arm...he changed his mind.

It is the worst feeling in the world.  You are standing there looking towards the first base stands and you know it is coming...grief.  But it didn't.  I couldn't believe it.  I didn't hear a word from anyone.  If that had been me....well...I don't even want to think about it.

For the record...he got the pitch right...it was definitely a ball.  But it was without a doubt the biggest STE-BALL I have ever seen on a baseball field.

For those of you who think I shouldn't be writing this...he knows about the blog...and like I said earlier...he told me to speak of it kindly.

Andy...You are a great umpire..and it happens to everyone.  Keep up the great work.  The side benefit is we had a good laugh about it after the game in the locker room.

I LOVE UMPIRING.

Next up...MAC weekend at Ohio University hosting W. Michigan.  Have a great weekend guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment