Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thomas More vs. W&J

Not many times will I take a game almost two hours from home on a mid-week game that isn't a D1 game.  But this game is an exception.  Big rivalry.  I have done it for two years straight now and it is a great competitive game.

Not any different today either.  Washington & Jefferson heads into the top of the 8th inning trailing 6-3...Hits a 3-run HR in the 8th and a 2-run shot in the 9th and wins the game 8-6 to take sole possesion of the conference lead.

Even better, I got to work with one of my favorite umpires, Matt Hughes from Louisville.

Matt is an ex-AAA guy and has been through a lot of wars in his time.  A great umpire and an even better person.

2:45 minutes and it seemed like an hour and a half. 

Only problem on the day was the sun.  Oh it felt great.  Just wasn't good for the fielders on the left side of the field. 

LF took one off the noggin.  So did a SS.  Third baseman couldn't find a pop foul.   A catcher had the same problem.

Did I mention that the sun felt great though?

The one thing I have always said about Matt Hughes still held true on this day.

Matt just doesn't get excited about much.  He calls whackers just like he would call a play that wasn't close.  Every time I see him soft sell a close play it makes me smile.  He just doesn't get excited out there.  Just goes out and does the job he was hired to do.

There are days I wish I could be more like Matt.

Another night game tomorrow night at Victory Field in Indianapolis.  Hanover vs. Franklin.  Always fun working on the pristine Triple A field.  Then fly out Friday morning to Happy Valley for Penn State vs. Michigan State.

No comments:

Post a Comment